Hello, we’re Rachel Chew and Rachel Leung from Radiant Rachels! Our blog is a collection of vegetarian (mostly vegan) recipes designed to be easy, inexpensive, satisfying, and wholesome. By encouraging others to eat more plants, we hope that more people can live radiant lives of great joy and health.
As part of the Yoso community, we’re excited to make plant-based eating more accessible and help others discover new ways to enjoy plants!
This shortcake recipe is the perfect dessert for entertaining. They are a breeze to prepare, feature our favourite flavours (coconut, chocolate, and cherry) and just darling to look at!
Vegan Chocolate Cherry Shortcakes
Prep time: 45 minutes
- ½ cup coconut milk
- juice of ½ a lemon
- ½ c. vegan butter
- ⅓ c. coconut sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 c. frozen cherries
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- Melted chocolate
- Fresh cherries
- Your favourite Yoso coconut yogurt
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir together coconut milk and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir in flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Add in the vegan butter to the flour mixture, and cut in the butter until they resemble the size of small peas.
- Pour in the milk mixture into the flour/butter mixture. If dough is too dry, add in more coconut milk, 1 tbsp at a time.
- Drop by rounded 2 tablespoonfuls onto lined baking sheet. Brush some coconut milk on top as “eggwash” and sprinkle coconut sugar before baking.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cherry filling by adding cherries into a pan over medium-high heat. Once cherries are somewhat cooked down, add in vanilla and maple syrup. Once the juices are boiling, turn off heat and wait for mixture to cool and thicken.
- To serve, cut the scones in half width wise and sandwich in the melted chocolate, coconut yogurt, and cherry mixture. Garnish with some fresh cherries and shaved chocolate!
Connect with the Rachel’s at radiantrachels.com/
This post is part of our series, How do you Enjoy Yoso? We asked friends in our healthy community to share one of their favourite ways to enjoy our dairy-free products.